It's official- we are homeowners in North Carolina!
This move, without a doubt, was our most challenging. I won't go into too many of the details (because at the end of the day it all worked out!), but basically we did twice the work this time around!
After an exhausting house hunt, we finally found the perfect house. It was on the market for 2 hours before we made an offer. We were very excited and began the long process of paperwork, inspections, appraisals, etc. I was able to jump through a few hoops and start Mary Grace in school on the first day (which was our goal.)
On Mary Grace's second day of school we got the news that both the inspection and the appraisal raised some red flags. We were devastated, but after praying about it we knew we needed to walk away.
And so we started over.
As much as we loved Mary Grace's new school, and as much as I didn't want to have to move her again, I knew we didn't want to commit to a forever house strictly based on the Elementary School District. It seemed like a nearly impossible situation...
But, as luck would have it, we found another house the next day. In the neighborhood across the street from the other house. And we liked it better than the first house. Like, a lot better.
As you can imagine, I wasn't holding my breath on this house though. We were starting at square one- conducting appraisals, inspections, etc. Our contract had a closing date of September 30th, but last week we got a phone call asking us if we wanted to close early. Umm, yes please!
To say that things work out like they are supposed to would be an understatement in this situation!
Our first night in our new house we ordered pizza and ate on the floor!
(and then headed back to the hotel!)
Early the next day Nana showed up with a housewarming gift!
A basketball for our brand new "shooter."
(Miller has been telling anyone that will listen that he's got a "shooter at my new house.")
Thank you Nana!
Unfortunately because our closing date was moved up so unexpectedly, we aren't able to get our furniture delivered until next week. It would be SO nice to be able to move out of the hotel, but we are using our days productively.
We hired a painter to paint 3 rooms- the master, the guest room and Mary Grace's bedroom. But then with the extra time we decided we'd have the kitchen done too. And then, as of yesterday, I decided to have the laundry room painted and cabinets installed. This is proving to be expensive down time...but it will be nice to have it all done up front!
Miller's bedroom did not need painting- it was perfect!
The guest room changed from pale pink to "Pickle" green (and yes, I totally pick colors based on the names!)
It's really hard to see Mary Grace's walls, but they are a gorgeous shade of aqua. She got new bedding and is SUPER excited about the new look. I have a vision in my head, but it's still questionable if it will translate to a really beautiful room!
The master got painted the exact same shade as our Chicago room.
And our kitchen (and mudroom area) is getting painted "Meander Blue." Right now it's quite a contrast to the color that was previously on the walls (very dark green), but I can't wait to see the finished product!
Right now is definitely the calm before the storm and I'm trying to enjoy every last second of it!
I will end on this note- it is a very, very good thing this move is our last. I'm not sure I have another one in me!!










No comments:
Post a Comment