Tuesday, July 21, 2015

3.5

Happy Half Birthday Miller!
July 7th, 2015
This baby is growing up WAY too fast!




Between the two kids, this is our 12th half birthday. 

One year Mary Grace and I were in Denver on her half birthday and I celebrated early. Last year our house was on the market and we were in the middle of a move when we celebrated Miller's. Despite the craziness, I've never missed a single half birthday.

But somehow this year, July 7th snuck up on me. We were having a lazy afternoon at the pool and I glanced down at my phone to see the time. The date caught my eye, but it didn't immediately register. A few minutes later the significance of the date hit me. We ran to the grocery store in our bathing suits to buy a cake and decorating supplies. 

More than being completely oblivious to the date these days, I think his half birthday almost passed us by because I can't possibly believe that he's already 3 and a half. 
I NEED time to slow down!

There are honestly not words to adequately describe Miller. 
He's charming, and funny. He loves to make people smile and laugh. His timing is always perfect. He breaks into dance randomly while walking. He never fails to make people laugh, but always knows when to reign it in and end with a cute smile.  

Miller has always had very clear, articulate speech. But because he's cautious, it always surprises people when he finally opens his mouth and has something big to say. He's super animated when he talks- his eyes get big and he has an unparalleled level of excitement for even small things. He still places emphasis on the wrong words in a sentence which makes a lot of what he says funny. He also has a really thick southern accent. His teachers joked with me all year how funny it was that the boy from Chicago (that's how they thought of him since we had just moved) was the most Southern one in the class! 

Miller is rotten. He knows exactly how to stick his lip out to pout when he doesn't get his way. And he still hits when he gets mad (mostly at Mary Grace.) He's gotten very discreet about it so it's a little bit hard not to laugh (because she usually deserves it!!) He also knows how cute he is and manages to use that to his advantage. The other day we were all getting breakfast and someone commented on  Miller's beautiful curls. It was uncharacteristic of him not to immediately say thank you so I prompted him by saying "what do you say?" Without missing a beat Miller smiled and said "do you want to see the back?" 

Miller is all boy. He runs, jumps, climbs and does weird ninja moves. He loves all sports! And all cars. And all boats, motorcycles, trucks, etc. Miller doesn't mind getting dirty, but he doesn't like staying dirty. Miller loves to swim and essentially taught himself this summer. I had planned on doing lessons with him, but wasn't happy with any of the time/skill options available. Thankfully, all of our time at the pool paid off and he is doing really well without any floats or help.

Miller's teachers suggested he start wearing pull ups to school back in January when he turned 3. For months he didn't seem to "get it," but one day in May (with Nana's help!) it all just clicked. Since he has to be potty trained for his class in the fall, it worked out really well that I didn't end up having to spend the summer working on that!

Miller acts tough a lot these days. It's almost like he read a handbook about how to act like a 3-year old. But the funny thing is, he is truly just ACTING. It's not his personality at all. He is so sweet and tender. I usually just need to pay him a little attention and the tough-guy 3-year old attitude disappears. His phrase lately is "mommy, I just need a snuggle you." Miller still likes to be held a lot and will sit in my lap without being prompted.

Miller is very unpredictable at bed time. Most nights he is the easiest child in the world to put to bed. You literally say goodnight, close the door and never hear from him again. But every once in a while, he will call for me for hours and want me to lay with him. I know this is a monster I've created (because, who can resist snuggling such a cute boy!), but it's so random when he does it that it breaks my heart to ignore it.

Another unpredictable thing in our house is Mary Grace and Miller's relationship. Some days (hours, minutes) they play amazing together. I find them cuddled up on a chair reading together, or helping each other build a block city. But other moments it seems like all I do is ask them to stop arguing. I know it's so typical, but I really thought with their age/gender difference that we wouldn't have as many problems.

Overall we really like Miller. He's definitely a keeper!    

No comments:

Post a Comment