Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Miller's Surgery

Last week Miller needed to have a "minor" surgical procedure to correct a urinary issue. I say minor in quotes because of course when your child has to have any type of surgery, it feels pretty major. 

In all honesty, the surgery snuck up on us. I remember scheduling it for November, but it wasn't really until we celebrated Halloween that I realized November was happening. I've gotten a lot of people who questioned why we didn't tell them- sorry! It really was happening before I came out of denial that October was over. I literally emailed his teachers that morning on the way to the surgery center.

Anyway, Miller was a total trooper! Despite being told that the youngest patients are always scheduled first, his surgery wasn't until early afternoon because of some conflict his actual doctor had that day. Our biggest concern was food, but Miller didn't even ask for anything once. He was SO good!
The surgery center was amazing! While we were waiting, Miller even got to color on his sheets.
 He also got to decorate his anesthesia mask with stickers and add a yummy smell to it (by rubbing flavored chapstick on the inside!)

 Although I brought tons of things to entertain him during the wait, he thought playing catch with his hospital issued socks was the most fun. Thankfully the nurses and doctors thought he was awesome and they obliged to a game of catch every time they made their rounds.

The best part was after Miller got some medicine to take away any anxiety. He got very giggly and silly. At one point he accused the nurse of having two heads. It was pretty funny!
 Surgery went well, and Miller sped through the recovery process. We headed home before dinner time. When we pulled into the driveway we were shocked to see that Brent's co-workers had decorated our front door. They also left treats for the whole family. SO thoughtful!
 The best part of the whole surgery schedule was that Miller slept most of the afternoon and early evening, so he was wide awake for the final game of the world series. What a memorable evening!
 Miller only made it to the bottom of the 8th inning- but still pretty impressive for a 4-yr old on Eastern Time! Sweet boy woke up around 4AM for more medicine and to ask who won the game!

Miller is doing great. He's back at school and pretty much feeling normal. Although, he's been waking up every night and asking for medicine and to sleep in our bed. I think it's a combination of being very spoiled for a few days and the time change (I do not think he's actually in pain!)

No comments:

Post a Comment