Sunday, October 26, 2014

VIP

Last week Mary Grace was the class VIP

She got to give a presentation to the class based on this book she filled out. Her teacher was able to project the images and Mary Grace stood at the board and described each page. 

I let her take the lead on this project and I think she did a great job! She practiced her presentation twice and when I asked her how it went at school she said "ugg, Mom, you know how it went. It went exactly like at home." So, I guess she felt good about it!


Mary Grace had a really hard time narrowing down her "family" pictures. She picked about 10 originally. I tried to explain that they probably wouldn't all fit, but she didn't quite understand that concept (which is understandable considering almost all of our pictures are on phones, or computers...she's rarely held an actual photograph! Ha!) 

Anyway, I printed them all out and then she picked these. As part of her presentation she told the class that she has a "large" family with "grandmas and aunts and uncles and people that were too big for the page." Both times when we were practicing I corrected her and said that the people themselves weren't too big for the page, but that we had too many pictures with everyone. I have a strong feeling she said it her way!



 Similarly, she also selected a lot of friend pictures. She was adamant that she use the picture of her and Isabel with their BFF necklaces. But then as we were gluing them to the page she all of the sudden took scissors and cut the necklaces out. I asked her why and she said that she realized that it might hurt her new friends' feelings because they might think they were her BFF. Sweet girl! 

For this page Mary Grace choose to highlight all the places she's lived. It's hard to see but she wrote:
one: FL
tow: TN
three: KY
four: IL
five: NC


"legos" and "leaf jumping"
(While not necessarily her "favorite game," I think she might have limited herself to the pictures we printed out...her original thought had been to include some drawings on this page, but got lazy decided against it.) 
 This is my favorite page!
If you can enlarge it on your screen, it's good for a laugh. Three things I will point out in case you can't see them-
1. She wanted to be clear on what kind of taco she likes (it must include: ches, sorcreme, beff, and letis)
2. Though she doesn't like "Chicago Stild Pizza" she felt like it was important to include. I assume she just wanted to show off that she knew there were two kinds?
3. The Salmon is smiling. 
Mary Grace has recently decided that after the Olympics, she wants to be a marine biologist. She was certain that we didn't have any pictures of her doing this profession (and was QUITE vocal complaining about the lack of pictures) because I have "never let her swim with sharks." Yes, I'm the meanest mom ever.

 This was another tricky page. We had WAY too many options. In the end she was solid on the Disney Cruise picture, and then decided to use her most recent state picture to represent the fact that she's been to 22 "stats" and loves to travel.
 These are honestly the skills she chose all by herself:
racing
swimming
giving
singing

There was also a question and answer portion. She said that went well too, but couldn't remember any of the questions her friends asked. I have a feeling that hers was a pretty thorough presentation!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment