Friday, June 5, 2015

Stitch

Miller's First Trip to the ER (and hopefully last!)
Monday, June 1st

Disclaimer: I included 1 totally gross picture in this post for anyone interested in seeing the actual injury. I decided to post it last (even though it should obviously be first in the sequence of pictures) so that anyone who doesn't want to see it can read the post and then skip the very end.

As I mentioned in the last post, my Grandma passed away on Sunday. After a long day in Walnut Cove, we all decided to have normal days on Monday before the funeral on Tuesday. In my family this meant school for Mary Grace, work for Brent and a play date at our pool for Miller and me. 

Miller and I met our friends up at the pool. The boys began to play in the shallow area which is a huge ledge connected to the regular pool. Not long after getting in I watched Miller fall, but didn't see him hit the wall. It looked like he caught himself (he was IN water), but one of my friends noticed he was bleeding. As soon as I saw his chin I knew I needed to take him to the ER. 

Miller, on the other hand, had plans to get back in the pool. He was not bothered at all and just wanted to get back in with his friends. Unfortunately, it was MAJOR drama leaving the pool (probably the biggest tantrum he's ever thrown.)

Once we arrived at the hospital Miller was immediately taken back to a room. A nurse came in and applied this bandage with numbing cream on it. 
 Finally the doctor came in and had Miller lay upside down so he would look backwards at the TV. Since the doctor needed to use a bright light, he wanted to cover Miller's eyes with a cloth. Not only did this defeat the purpose of the TV, but Miller also did not like the idea. Thankfully, since we'd been at the pool- I still had my sunglasses on my head. 
 When the doctor started he estimated that it would take 7 or 8 stitches to get the cut closed properly. However because Miller didn't move an inch the entire time, he felt really good about the placement and security of the ones he did. After 4 he decided it looked great.

Miller did not cry the entire time we were at the hospital. He was SO brave and tough!
The doctor and all the nurses kept commenting on how Miller was the best patient they ever had. 
 Miller thought the whole experience was great. He got to watch a few cartoons, a new bear, a Popsicle, and a lot of attention! 
 Unfortunately, the saga doesn't end there. On Thursday during his nap, Miller pulled out two of the stitches. It didn't bother him at all- the only way I found out was by noticing it hours later when I was applying a new band-aid. Fortunately I was able to find the stitches on the floor and I'm planning on taking them to his appointment this Monday to make sure they think he got the entire stitch out. 

Brent and I had a serious conversation with him about leaving the other 2 stitches in...but we aren't really holding our breath. Miller is such a BOY! Who takes out their own stitches???

And now for the really gross picture. I'm serious, stop looking now if you don't like this kind of thing...









Poor baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment