Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Miller's Saga

Miller had a rough month!
 Although I've blogged bits and pieces, I haven't really described in detail how terrible the month of October turned out for Miller.
Around the beginning of the month Miller started waking up screaming several times a night. I was annoyed concerned. I mentioned it at his 9-month check up about a week later and at first his doctor chalked it up to typical social behavior. But then she looked in his ear and found it very infected. So Miller got his first antibiotic.
Being the incredible mom that I am, I made the decision to hop on a plane to Vegas 4 days later. I actually justified leaving my semi-sick child by saying that the antibiotics would pretty much make him immune to everything for the next 10 days, so he should be good to go!
Not even 12 hours later Miller spiked a fever of 103+ that wouldn't come down with medicine. So here I am, in a casino in Vegas calling the emergency line at the pediatrician's office (I mean, if that doesn't solidify my 'Mom of the Year' award, I don't know what will!)
Anyway, turns out the antibiotic wasn't working- and the ear infection has spread to the other ear. Both ears are now 'severely infected.'
So Miller starts on antibiotic #2.
 
Fast forward a week. Miller still isn't acting right. He hasn't spiked a fever again, but he just seemed miserable. So I take him back to the pediatricians office (incidentally- this visit actually ties with Mary Grace for the number of times I've EVER taken her to the doctor for a sick visit!!!)
Doctor is now concerned. Both ears showing no improvement. We're given antibiotic #3 and already starting to talk about visiting an ENT. At this point Brent and I are also NOT happy about the situation. Not only has Miller been miserable for a month, but we really hate having him on antibiotics! So we also began taking him to a chiropractor. I know that's a fairly controversial treatment option, but a lot of people swear by it and we just wanted Miller to get better!
Anyway, to end a long story- as of last Friday Miller's ears were infection free, but still had a ton of fluid in them. So...we'll see.
 
 As of right now, Miller seems to be back to his happy self!
Oh, and did I mention that in the middle of ALL of this...
2 huge new top teeth came in!

1 comment:

  1. You did the right thing with the antibiotics. I know no one wants to see their kid on antibiotics for a month but one of my old coworkers had lots of ear infections as a kid, and her parents didn't want to keep her on antibiotics, and one of her infections got so bad she lost 80% of her hearing in one ear :( Dave also had a cold that went into his ear and ruptured his ear drum (that's what he had to have surgery for last year). I hope it doesn't come to this, but he might need tubes if he still has tons of fluid in his ears...both Dave and I had to have tubes as babies. But Miller could also get better and this could just be a fluke! I'll be praying that all that fluid drains away!!

    ReplyDelete