Monday, December 10, 2012

Sicklings

For the first time ever, the flu struck our house...
 Poor little guy was the first one down.
Within 10 minutes of him waking up last Thursday I knew he was sick. His personality was completely different. He was clingy and whiny. Mid-afternoon he started running a fever and fell asleep on me (something that hasn't happened in months!)
I fully intended to take him to the doctor on Friday, but he woke up fine!
And that was the end of it...
 ...Until Mary Grace was going to bed Friday night. She told Brent her head hurt. We sort of thought she might be wanting attention since Miller had just been sick, but when Brent gave her a hug he realized she was burning up.
She woke up Saturday with a fever and we headed straight into the pediatrician's office. Mary Grace was tested for strep throat and the flu, and came back positive for the flu.
 
 Lots of snuggling on the couch, movies and quiet time (and actually, it was like torture keeping Mary Grace still- as typical for her, even sick, she still wanted to be active!)
Her fever went away Saturday around 3PM and never returned.
Brent and I both had slight symptoms, but it's very possible it could have been the hypochondriac in us. Or we could have really had it- we both started taking Tamiflu when Mary Grace was diagnosed.
I have to say, this was a VERY odd flu. If Mary Grace hadn't actually been tested, I would say it was more like a 24 hour bug. It ran rampid through our group of friends, but to my knowledge we were the only ones to take Tamiflu (which I will now swear by- it definitely shortened the length).
We were disappointed that our weekend plans got ruined- we had 3 different Christmas activities/events planned- but selfishly, it was awesome to have it happen on a weekend because Brent was an amazing help! We disinfected our house top to bottom several times, and still had plenty of snuggles to go around! I couldn't have done it without him!

No comments:

Post a Comment