Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Delegate

The other night when I was writing the blog about Mary Grace I knew there was one more thing I wanted to add, but for the life of me I couldn't think of it.

Lately Mary Grace has turned into a little Mommy. She does a great job taking care of all her babies. She feeds them (sticks them up under her shirt!), walks them and puts them to bed!
But one thing she's learned all on her own
 (because I'm really bad at it!)
delegating!

When we were at the beach Mary Grace felt like the water was too cold. She didn't even really want to get her toes wet. She would make Brent or I fill up her bucket with water for her sand castles. After a couple hundred trips down to the water, Brent and I told her she needed to do it herself if she wanted more. A few minutes later we saw her walk up to some random couple on the beach and ask them to fill her bucket for her (and they did!)

Fast forward a few weeks- Mary Grace's class was in charge of the Teacher's Appreciation lunch. I had to drop my food off at school. Rather than dragging Miller in I decided to send Mary Grace by herself. She was familiar with where to take the food and, obviously, she was going to be safe. I stood by my car at the front door while she ran in. She came back WAY too quickly. I asked her if she took the food to the kitchen and she said
'No, I saw Mrs. Burke (the music teacher) in the hallway and I asked her if she wouldn't mind doing it for me"

And then yesterday we were at a friend's house for lunch. When we were getting ready to leave I told Mary Grace she needed to help clean up. The next thing I knew she was basically directing the clean up effort (doing absolutely nothing herself)- but the 3 other kids were doing EXACTLY what she was telling them to do and the room was getting cleaned up.

So I can't decide- is she lazy? Or just smart???



1 comment: