Warning: There are no pictures of my kids in this post. Sorry!
Today I decided to give Mary Grace a very brief, appropriate for a 5-year old, explanation of the significance of September 11th. I typically tend to shelter her from information. She's only going to be little and naive for such a short amount of time. BUT, I wasn't sure if she'd hear anything at school today and I felt that her first information should come from home.
So, during Miller's morning nap I sat down with her and spent about two minutes explaining 9/11.
When I finished she looked very upset and she was completely silent. I gave her a few minutes to reflect on my words. I worried that I said too much. I prayed that I didn't fill her heart with fear or hate. As the silence stretched out I honestly started sweating and thinking that I had changed Mary Grace's life forever by telling her this information.
Finally, she looked up at me and in her sweet little voice said:
"Mommy, you know what I'm confused about?"
What sweetheart?
"I just don't understand why Tinkerbell doesn't have a crown like my other princesses. I mean, she HAS to be a princess because her clothes don't change. You know, like princesses never change their clothes. Well, except for Belle, but that's only because she has a blue dress and a yellow dress. But Tinkerbell never changes clothes. Why doesn't she have a crown, Mommy?"
Good talk Mary Grace. Good talk.
LOL!!! Very good talk.
ReplyDelete